Snagglepuss is a character created by Hanna-Barbera in 1959. He's best known for his famous catchphrase, "Heavens to Murgatroyd!", along with phrases such as "Exit, stage left!" (or stage right, and sometimes even up or down), a phrase used in theatrical stage directions. Finally, Snagglepuss tends to add the word "even" to the end of his statements.
Snagglepuss lives in a cavern, which he constantly tries to make more habitable for himself. No matter what he does, however, he always winds up back where he started or worse off than he was before.
In some episodes, Snagglepuss is chased by Major Minor (voiced by Don Messick), a tiny mustachioed hunter, whose chases seem similar to the ones which involve Elmer and Bugs Bunny. In terms of appearence and colour, he has a strong resemblance to the Pink Panther.
His "birthday" is September 30th.
He first appeared in several episodes of The Quick Draw McGraw Show and became a regular segment on The Yogi Bear Show. Daws Butler based the character's voice on Bert Lahr's Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz, which at one point caused some confusion to the point where Mr. Lahr threatened legal action against Hanna-Barbera and Kellogg's. To resolve the matter, it was decided to include the on-screen message "Voice of Snagglepuss--Daws Butler" during the commercial segments.
In his earliest appearances, he was orange (and sometimes brown) instead of pink and called Snaggletooth. In later episodes, Snaggletooth was referred to as Snagglepuss' cousin.
When he appeared on Fender Bender 500, Snagglepuss was voiced by Greg Burson due to Daws Butler's death. He was paired up with Huckleberry Hound as they drove a monster truck called the Half-Dog, Half-Cat, Half-track; it resembled a portable stage. In Yo Yogi! (1991) Snagglepuss was voiced by Greg Burson as well.
The following is a list of episodes of Snagglepuss' segment from The Yogi Bear Show.
- The Yogi Bear Show (1961-1962)
- Yogi's Gang (1973)
- Laff-A-Lympics (1977-1979)
- Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985-1988)
- Wake, Rattle & Roll (1990–1991) (Fender Bender 500 segment)
- Yo Yogi! (1991)
- MetLife - "Everyone" (2012)
Films and Specials
- Yogi's Ark Lark (1972)
- Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Revue (1978)
- Casper's First Christmas (1979)
- Yogi's First Christmas (1980)
- Yogi Bear's All-Star Comedy Christmas Caper (1982)
- Yogi's Great Escape (1987)
- Yogi Bear and the Magical Flight of the Spruce Goose (1987)
- The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound (1988)
- Hanna-Barbera's 50th: A Yabba Dabba Doo Celebration (1989)
- D.A.R.E. Bear Yogi (1989)
- The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959-1960)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Peanut Puberty" (2004)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Bird Girl of Guantanamole" (2005)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Evolutionary War" (2005)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law - "Juror in the Court" (2007)
- Wacky Races (2017) - "Wacklantis" (2018)
- Daws Butler - The Quick Draw McGraw Show (1959) through The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound (1988)
- Greg Burson - Fender Bender 500 (1990), Yo Yogi! (1991)
- Unknown - MetLife - "Everyone" - Behind the scenes
- Billy West - Wacky Races (2017) (2018)
- "Heavens to Murgatroyd!"
- "Exit, stage left/right!"
- Use of the word "even" as a rejoinder
Is Snagglepuss gay?
While LGBT pride, activists, and folklorists will like to use Snagglepuss as a gay icon because of his lavender fur color, campy mannerisms, his lisping speech and his fondness for the theatrical, Joseph Barbera was once quoted as denying the likelihood, insisting that the character (and voice) were modeled on Bert Lahr (adding that Lahr "once beat up on his wife!").
Too, there were at least two episodes involving a would-be girlfriend, Lila, who rejected Snagglepuss as too boorish.
In February 2017, DC Comics announced a new Snagglepuss comic book series, drawn in a more realistic style, which reimagines the character as an openly gay playwright in 1950s New York. Advance artwork shows Snagglepuss discussing the matter with Augie Doggie. The artwork for this comic book series is created in Newfoundland.
- Postcards from Snagglepuss (A weekly fanfiction compendium imagining Snagglepuss "on the road" every week, with plenty of interesting adventures along the way-ho-way)